Your roof is one of the most important structures that make up your home. If it’s made of asphalt, you should expect it to last at least 20 years — but extreme weather can cause significant damage. So, how can you tell if your roof needs repairing or replacing?
In this guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about roof replacement and roof repair in Atlanta. As one of the premier roofing companies in Atlanta, Georgia, we understand the importance of acting quickly when your roof shows signs of damage. We’ll tell you how you can increase the longevity of your roof with professional roofing Atlanta companies like us!
When Should You Repair Your Roof?
Depending on the damage your roof has sustained, the signs can easily go unnoticed. Below, we’ve listed the most common symptoms of a damaged roof — including subtle signs that you may have overlooked:
- Higher energy bills. If you’ve noticed that your monthly energy bills have increased, it could be an indication that your roof is damaged and no longer able to insulate your home.
- Water damage or damp. Patches of damp or water stains could mean that your roof is leaking. These will usually appear on ceilings or at the top of your walls.
- Damage to your attic. From visible dampness to broken rafters, a damaged attic is often a sign that you need roof repair in Atlanta.
- Broken or dirty shingles. If your shingles have started to crack, curl, or look dirty, your roof may need to be repaired. Dirty shingles could mean you have a mold problem. You may also find granules from your shingles in your gutters or on the ground. Roof repair Atlanta services should replace these broken or dirty shingles as soon as possible.
- Damaged flashings. Regularly check your flashings for signs of damage, as you’re unlikely to spot deterioration without a proper inspection.
When Should You Replace Your Roof?
A good rule of thumb is that if more than 25% of your roof is damaged, you should have it replaced. This will be a lot more cost-effective than carrying out the repairs, especially as the condition of your roof will probably continue to deteriorate.
The best time for a replacement will depend on the material. While asphalt roofs can last 15-20 years on average, clay tiles can last around 50, and slate can last up to 100 with the proper maintenance!
The climate can also affect the lifespan of your roofing. Due to Atlanta’s cold winters and higher-than-average rainfall, Atlanta GA roofing may need replacing more regularly than the standard timeframes.
How Much Does it Cost to Replace Your Roof?
If your roof needs replacing due to extreme weather, the cost may be covered by your home insurance. But if it’s simply reached the end of its lifespan, you should expect to pay around $2,000-8,000 for a new, 1,500 square foot asphalt roof.
Like our specialist roofing contractors in Atlanta, GA, all good companies should offer a full warranty to protect your purchase.
Can I Repair My Own Roof?
Carrying out roof repair in Atlanta can be incredibly dangerous — not just for the person up the ladder but also for anyone inside your home. Nobody wants to risk causing more damage, so that’s why we recommend hiring roofing contractors in Atlanta, GA.
Our experienced contractors make us one of the most popular roofing companies in Atlanta, Georgia. If you think your roof may be damaged, give us a call. We can inspect your property professionally and advise you whether it’s safe to carry out the repairs yourself.
If your asphalt is only mildly damaged, you may be able to fix the issue with some simple DIY. (Roofs made from materials such as slate, rubber, wood, or metal usually require specialist servicing). To safely fix your Atlanta GA roofing, make sure to follow our top tips for DIY repair:
- Use a sturdy ladder, and make sure both your ladder and jack are secure before you start work.
- Always make sure you have somebody with you when undertaking roof repair in Atlanta.
- Make sure you’re wearing appropriate safety gear, including a helmet or hard hat.
- Carefully inspect the entire area, from the underlayment to the surrounding shingles.
- Use adhesive to seal the edges of your shingle.
How to Choose Roofing Companies in Atlanta, Georgia
It’s always best to hire professional roofing contractors in Atlanta, GA, for anything more severe than a few broken shingles. But what should you look out for when choosing your Atlanta GA roofing company?
Never entrust something as important as your home to a disreputable company. Make sure that you choose an Atlanta, Georgia roofing company with the following traits:
- Fully insured contractor.
- Offers a great Atlanta GA roofing warranty.
- Has received excellent reviews from other local homeowners.
Call Our Roofing Atlanta, GA Company Today
Have you got more questions about roof repair in Atlanta? To find out more about our services — or just to chat all things roofing! — give our friendly team a call, and we’ll help you come up with the best solutions for your Atlanta roofing today!